ISSN 2413-2322 (Online)
ISSN 2221-1055 (Print)
Зарубіжний досвід розвитку аграрного виробництва
External markets and the Polish agri-food sector / Szajner Piotr // Ekonomika APK. - 2016. - № 1 - P. 84
The objective of the paper is to assess the impact of external markets on selected branches of Polish agri-food sector. For the purpose of the study a wide range of statistical data was analysed, especially information from the World Bank, FAO and Polish Central Statistical Office. The method of market indices analysis was used. The presented study has shown that as a consequence of globalisation process the economic situation in the world market has a growing impact on the supply-demand situation in the domestic markets. Statistical data confirmed strong links between the markets in question. The impact of the economic situation in the world market on the domestic markets was visible in all analysed branches of the Polish agri-food sector. It was particularly visible in the branches, which are involved in intense trade with foreign countries (for example: fish, pig, dairy and poultry sector). The analysis of sectors operating under the conditions of risks resulting from various world crises and under strong pressure of the decreasing domestic demand for food and of the high and rising prices was an element of scientific novelty. Presentation of trends in foreign trade of Polish agri-food products has a practical significance for market analysts and business sector. Tabl.: 1. Figs.: 2. Refs.: 22.
Key words: globalisation, external markets, Poland, agri-food sector, competitiveness
- Demographic Overview - World - Total For Selected Region, United States Census Bureau, www.bureau.com, 31.10.2014.
- Dybowski G. Impact of the globalisation process on the development of agriculture in the world, series „Multi-annual Programme 2005-2009”, No 17, IAFE-NRI, Warsaw 2005.
- Figiel S., Hamulczuk M., Klimkowski C. Methodical aspects of the price variability analysis and risk measurement in agricultural commodity market, series „Communications Reports Expert Opinions”, No 559, IAFE-NRI, Warsaw 2012
- Grzelak A., Seremak-Bulge J. Comparison of selected methods of examining the economic situation in agriculture in Poland, „Issues of Agricultural Economics” 2014, No 4, pp. 117-130.
- Foreign trade and international competitiveness of the Polish agri-food sector, [in:] A. Kowalski (ed.), Analysis of the production and economic situation of agriculture and food economy in 2011, IAFE-NRI, Warsaw 2012, pp. 238-268.
- Jasiński A. Outline of the market analysis, PWN, Warsaw 1997.
- Levi D. International Production and Sourcing: Trends and Issus, „STI Review” 1993, No 13.
- Misala J. International competitive potential and international competitiveness of the national economy. Theoretical grounds, Radom University of Technology, Radom 2007.
- Misala J. International competitiveness of the national economy, PWE, Warsaw 2011.
- Mynarski S. (ed.), Market analysis. Systems and mechanisms, Cracow University of Economics, Kraków 1993.
- Parkash A. Safeguarding Food Security in Volatile Global Markets, FAO, Rome 2011.
- Pietrzak M. Problem of the geographical scope of markets/sectors in the age of globalisation and regionalisation, „Issues of Agricultural Economics” 2014, No 1, pp. 5-21.
- Pingali P., Westernization of Asian diets and the transformation of food systems: Implications for research and policy, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, FAO, Rome 2007.
- Rembisz W., Kowalski A. Agricultural market in the functional terms, University of Finance and Management, Warsaw 2007.
- Stankiewicz M.J. Enterprise competitiveness. Building the enterprise competitiveness under the globalisation conditions, Dom Organizatora, Toruń 2005.
- Szajner P., Walczyk K. „Economic situation in agriculture” 2014, IED WSE, Warsaw.
- Szczepaniak I. (ed.), Monitoring and evaluation of the competitiveness of Polish food producers (2), series „Multi-annual Programme 2011-2014”, No 40, IAFE-NRI, Warsaw 2012.
- Szczepaniak I. (ed.), Monitoring and evaluation of the competitiveness of Polish food producers (3). Competitive potential - selected aspects, series „Multi-annual Programme 2011-2014”, No 73, IAFE-NRI, Warsaw 2013.
- Szczepaniak I. (ed.), Monitoring and evaluation of the competitiveness of Polish food producers (5). Synthesis, series „Multi-annual Programme 2011-2014”, No 115, IAFE-NRI, Warsaw 2014.
- Szymański W. Globalisation - challenges and threats, Difin, Warsaw 2002, p. 12.
- Tokgoz S., Zhang W., Msangi S. Biofuels and the Future of Food: Competition and Complementarities, „Agriculture” 2012, no. 2, pp. 414-435.
- Zorska A. Towards globalisation?Transformations in transnational corporations and world economy, PWN, Warsaw 2000.
Read article: 11.pdf